It's worth to visit
ST MARY MAGDALENE’S CHURCH
The church was built between 1618 and1631. Its founder was the then heir to the town, Adam Noskowski. Some remains of the late-Renaissance moulding can be seen in the church. Below there is a crypt, a burial place of some of the heirs to Łęczna from the Noskowski and Firlej families and their descendants.
There are five baroque altars inside. The following objects deserve particular attention: a reliquary from 1662, a crucifix from the second half of the 17th century, a consecration board from 1639 made of black marble, a tabernacle from the first half of the 18th century and a pulpit and font from the 18th century. There is a baroque portrait of Jan III Sobieski over the entrance to the treasury, whereas over the door to the sacristy, you will see a copy of a baroque portrait of Wacław Rzewuski, the heir to Łęczna, from the first half of the 18th century by an unknown artist.
The church was damaged by fire in 1715, 1730 and 1761. The building underwent restoration work in 1836, between 1856 and 1860, 1909 and in 1924. It was renovated in 1951, 1967, and again in1983.
Next to the church is a belfry built between 1781 and1805 in the late-baroque style, and the so called “mansjonaria” (intended for mansioner priests) built around 1639. This was damaged by the fire in 1715, and thoroughly restored in between 1767-74.
THE BIG SYNAGOGUE
In 1648, Jews of the Łęczna region received permission for construction of a stone synagogue from Cracow’s bishop and, the then owner of the town, Katarzyna Noskowska from the Firlej family.
The temple built in the mid-17th century was converted and renovated several times, especially after the fires in the 19th century and after World War II. It was considerably extended after the fire in 1846. During World War II, it served the Germans as a grain warehouse.
The synagogue was damaged after the war, and in 1952 the decision was taken to have it demolished. The building survived only because there was no money for the demolition work.
Between 1954 and 1964, the synagogue underwent a general renovation. Then, in 1966, the synagogue was earmarked to become the seat of the Museum of Lublin Coal Basin. Currently, it houses the Regional Museum.
The synagogue of Łęczna is one of the few places of Jewish culture in the Lublin Region. Its original interior décor, including the Aron Hakodesz, has survived as well as the unique, four-column bima with a two-level upper top section, decorated with moulding distinguished by late-Renaissance characteristics and in polychrome. The synagogue in Łęczna is rated amongst the most beautiful buildings of this type in Poland.
Next to the synagogue, there is a "lapidarium" with tombstones decorated with ornaments and inscriptions in Hebrew. To the other side of the synagogue, the former house of education (also known as the small synagogue) is located. It was built at the beginning of the 19th century and now houses the Town - Council (Gmina) Public Library.
THE SMALL SYNAGOGUE
The Small Synagogue, also called the House of Prayer, Jewish school was founded in the beginning of the 19th century. It was reconstructed in 1859 and again in 1894 after the 1846 fire and 1881 fire. This building's walls were plastered. It was built in brick and has one storey. The Small Synagogue is rather square shaped and there is also an attic. In 1992 - 1993 the building was thoroughly redecorated. The place was to be adapted to the conditions of a newly opened (October 1993) Town's Communal Public Library. There has only been preserved a stone wash-place for ritual washing hands, which is situated in the conchiform niche, on the western interior wall.
THE FORMER MANSIONARY
The Adam Noskowski Foundation supported its erection (about1639) intended for the mansionary priests. The one-storey building, Baroque in style, in the shape of rectangle was made of stone and brick. It had a habitable attic and a cellar. In 1715 a fire caused the destruction of the building. In 1767 - 1774 it was thoroughly reconstructed by Płock Bishop Hieronim Szeptycki, the town's squire. The final building's restorer was bishop's nephew, Marcin Szeptycki Łęczna's parish - priest of that time who transformed the building into a presbytery. In 1829 the place required reconditioning again and it wasn't inhabited. In 1930 the building's roof was thoroughly reconstructed in accordance with the architectural project of Trzciński. The architect replaced the curved polish roof with a mansard one.
THE FORMER TOWN HALL
This is the name for a building erected according to a plan drawn up on January 15th, 1888. It was originally intended to be a guardroom and it functioned as such up to World War I. It is a classical building with the front wall decorated with a four-column portico with a triangle top. From 1920 it was converted to the offices of the Municipal Council and the town’s finances, and since then it has been known as The Town Hall. At the same time as the conversion, annexes for the jail and accommodation for a caretaker were added to the west side. The building was damaged during World War II, but was not rebuilt or reconstructed until 1961-63. Since 1971, it has served as the seat of the Register Office.
Nearby, there is a monument erected in 1918 to Tadeusz Kościuszko and the Town Office building, which had housed a school from the beginning of the 20th century.
MARKET SQUARE II
It was marked out in the 16th or 17th century on the initiative of Adam Noskowski, the then owner of the town. It functioned as the town centre and was the biggest market square of the Łęczna region being the location of a number of diversified fairs. Merchants that gathered here came from as far as Russia, Germany, and Austria; and turnover reached exorbitant, as for those days, levels.
In 1745, following one of the towns’ fires, the owner of the Łęczna estates, Seweryn Józef Rzewuski, ordered the widening of the market square streets, and he rebuilt the first and second market squares as well as established a third one. This is an example of a unique three-market square town composition which functions up to this day.
In 1840, the first bucket well in the town was built here; the next was built in 1860, in Market Square III.
On November 10th, 1846, during one of the most tragic fires, the buildings around Market Square II were burnt down, as well as the eastern frontage of Market Square III and buildings around Nowa and Bożnicza streets. There was a ghetto here during the war from where Germans carried out mass deportations and executions of the Jews of the Łęczna region. During the biggest on November 11th, 1942 the Nazis murdered approximately 1400 Jews from the Łęczna ghetto at the walls of the synagogue.
THE FORMER FAIR SQUARE
Here is the beginning of “new” Łęczna housing estates which came into existence as a result of the extension of the town after the discovery of large, hard bituminous coal deposits in the region of Łęczna. In 1975, in Bogdanka, the construction of a mine began and Łęczna was designated the capital of the Lublin Coal Basin. The town then had approximately 2,500 citizens.
Together with the development of the mine came masses of people, mainly from Silesia, to Łęczna. In 1985, about 10,000 people lived in the town. In 2007, Łęczna has 21,500 citizens, and 3,500 people live in the rural areas of the council (gmina).
On the “new” housing estates - Niepodległości and Bobrowniki - new schools, sports halls, cultural institutions and kindergartens have been built.
"PODZAMCZE" MANOR AND PALACE COMPLEX
The complex is a component of the Nadwieprzański Lanscape Park, established in 1990. In its northern area sits a courtyard with manor farm buildings called, on maps from the end of the 19th century, “Podzamcze”. In the southern area there is a park with a tree standing from the end of the 19th century, amongst other natural features of historic importance.
The South-eastern part of the park is the location of Łęczna castle a fortified residence of the Tęczyński family, defined for the first time in 1525 as „curia in Lanczna”.
Between 1996 and 1999, archaeological research was carried out on this area by the Regional Museum in Łęczna and the Archeology Department (currently Institute) of the Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin.
Within the Park, a manor house and outbuilding from the end of the 19th century are also located. In 1946 the manor house housed a gymnasium. Nowadays, after alteration, it is the headquarters of a private company and has no historical value. However, it is worth drawing attention to a building from the mid-20th century, originally built as the Labour Room, which now serves as the seat of the King K. Jagiellończyk School Complex as well as to the nearby granary from 1883, stable ruins and oast house from 1881, as well as the Valley of Dinosaurs a collection of models of Mesozoic reptiles.
THE JEWISH CEMETERY
The Jewish cemetery was established in the 16th or the second half of the 17th century and the last burial, according to available sources, took place in 1942.
The oldest reference to the cemetery dates from 1639, others from 1773 and then 1805. More information is included in the report “Dozorcy Miast” (“Caretakers of Towns”) on the state of Łęczna from 1819. It is known that in 1846, the cemetery was located in its current place.
In 1858, the area of the cemetery was extended through the purchase of a piece of land to the south. A further extension of the cemetery took place either at the beginning of the 20th century or during the interwar period.
During World War II, the cemetery was a hiding place for Jews. Executions of individual people were conducted here and those killed, including victims of mass executions conducted in the town area, were buried here.
Currently, there are no tombstones on the existing grounds over an area of 1.1 ha. Several dozen tombstones which survived from the damaged Jewish cemetery are now placed in the “lapidarium”, established at the eastern wall of the Łęczna synagogue. The oldest tombstone pieces found may be dated from the 19th century.
In 2005, thanks to the initiative of Rabbi Mejer Izrael Gabay from the Ukraine, the „ohel” (a kind of a tomb) devoted to the memory of Hasidic tzaddic Szlomo Jehuda Leib, also known as „Łęczner”, who died in 1843, was exposed.